Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's Thanksgiving again. Is it just me or do the years seem to be speeding by at a remarkable rate? It was three years ago tomorrow that I moved into the house I'm in now. It was just a few weeks after my ex and I separated, and Dad bought this house so that I'd be closer to them. Mom and Dad did a thorough search to find a suitable house for me and my five children. It's in a nice quiet neighborhood (well, the neighborhood was quiet until we moved in!), close to the square and police and fire stations, and just down the street from a first responder, and up the hill from the city park. A perfect location. Aunt Margaret and Uncle Dan came out that Thanksgiving. Uncle Dan installed a security system that would keep out even the most stealthy intruders, and Aunt Margaret gave me her wealth of knowledge in a way only Aunt Margaret can. Since that time I have found a multitude of things to be Thankful for. I thought I'd take a moment to share them:

1. I'm thankful for my parents. They are the best in the world. Over these past three years (and even much when I was married) they have spared no expense to make sure I had everything I need and so much more. They've been there to back up all my hair brained ideas, and then help me when it didn't go so well. They're helping me as I slowly try to piece my life back together after the divorce. No matter that they were not even in favor of the marriage to begin with!

2. I'm thankful for my children. They've grown so much over the past few years, both physically and emotionally. The divorce was hard on the older ones, but they've come through with shining colors- exceeding all my expectations. No matter what happens in this life, I'll be forever grateful that I had the opportunity to be a mother.

3. I'm thankful for Jason. I try not to write about him, though anyone that knows me well has heard me talk about him nonstop for the past two years. Whatever becomes of our friendship, I'm so grateful that he has been my friend. I was introduced to him just before I started back at school, and he has been my rock. He has kept me going when I wanted to quit. He has kept me laughing when I wanted to cry. He is the kindest, sweetest, most handsome man I've met in a long long time. He has restored my faith in men and given me a reason to smile.

4. I'm thankful for opportunity. I'm back in school! I worried for so many years that I would not have a chance to complete my education. It has been a goal of mine since I was a little girl. And here I am. Suffering through endless papers, tests, and boring lectures. But I love it. I love that I can go to school. I love that I can be better.

5. I'm thankful that I live in the United States. I love our country (even with its mishaps). It is full of potential and opportunities, and it invites change. I like that I have a chance to change things for the better- at least I can try.

6. And last, but far from least, I am thankful for the gospel. I've never questioned where I'm going or where I came from. I know. Every fiber in my being knows who I really am, and I'm so grateful that I have had that knowledge all my life. I love knowing that there is a God and that he loves us, and feeling his spirit throughout my life and watching his hand in so many things. I have witnessed enough miracles and marvelous things to ever doubt that He lives. I have felt so much power while reading the scriptures to ever wonder if they were true. I know they are. And I know that whatever happens in this life, if I can just endure, everything will be okay in the life to come.

No comments: